Monday, February 15, 2010

Davenning at Forty-Nine

Last Shabbat, as I was davenning, the following poem began to form in my mind. It's a kind of meditation on praying as I get older.

Davenning at Forty-Nine

I found it very hard to bow

in synagogue when I was young

as all my ancestors had done

I felt too proud to submit so


but after half a century

my knees and back bend well subdued

yet one more proof that life intrudes

upon our prayers like gravity


which is perhaps a kind of grace

or yet another name for God

inexorable earthbound nod

to which we bow surrender praise

2 comments:

健康保寶 said...

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.............................................

angel said...

When The popular comment layout is common, so it is easily recognized scanning to post a comment. If the comment section is in a different format, then I am going to spend more time trying to decipher what everything means.

degree home