Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Why the Jewish Camp REALLY Matters



A couple weeks ago, I asked some of the kids from my congregation who were at Camp Kalsman last summer to share their reflections at a Friday night Shabbat service.  Here's what my son, Jonah Kaufman, age 9, wrote:

The thing that I enjoyed most at camp is that everybody in the cabins are like brothers.

I think that, because all of us share clothes, we play card games with each other, and most important of all, is that we almost love each other.

Sure, sometimes we get in fights, or we get mad at each other, but in the end, we all love each other.

Although I've been going to camp for two years, It has made a serious impact on my life from swimming to meeting friends to services that I love going to camp, and that one of my favorite things are meeting new friends.

For those of us concerned about Jewish survival in America in the wake of things like the Pew Study, this seems like a strong response: we need to send a lot more of our kids to camp.


No comments: